Monday, May 20, 2013

Second birthday dinner: Kula Revolving Sushi in Irvine, CA


On the last day of school, after I was done with everythang, I met up with my friend Carolyn because she wanted to treat me out for my bday. She was craving revolving sushi, so off we went!



I usually go at night and it's always crowded. We came at 5 PM? and there was no wait! Such a rarity.



Revolving sushi bars are a bit different than regular sushi restaurants. The sushi come pre-made on plates and rotate around the entire restaurant on little conveyer belts. So adorable! Even though the sushi is pre-made, the quality is not bad at all. At Kula, all the sushi plates are $2. Most rolls come with three pieces, regular nigri comes with two pieces, and specials like uni and toro come with one piece. 


Red bean mochi!


Say hi to Carolyn! I told her to pose for the camera.


Serious face. Something's wrong here...

Devious face, wait for it...




Hahah, cute silly Caro

Tiger Roll!

California roll with cooked shrimp on top, with spicy mayo and eel sauce. Topped with jalapeno. So fattening but delicious!

Kula Roll

California roll with salmon on top with lemon juice. Usually I don't like salmon that much but the lemon makes it yummy! Note the small amount of fish, hence the cheap prices


Salmon mayo sushi

Seared salmon with mayo. I didn't try this haha but Carolyn loved it


Carolyn's sweet shrimp. I loove shrimp head, so good



Beef sushi! Comes with two pieces. The beef has a sweet, sesame sauce on it. Pretty good, although it's such a thin slice of meat. I guess it's better that way so you aren't stuck chewing on a huge chunk of beef.

Spider handroll. 

In my opinion, Kula makes the best spider hand roll I've ever had! Deepfried soft shell crab, with gobo and lettuce inside. Perfect with some ponzu sauce.



Vegetable handroll. Lettuce, avocado, and gobo inside. 

I think things like cucumber rolls and and veggie rolls are a refreshing palate cleanser when you're eating sushi. Carolyn took a bite of my vegetable handroll and the look on her face told me she did not agree at all haha!



Spicy tuna crunchy roll. Inside is shrimp tempura, avocado. 
On top is raw tuna with mayo and eel sauce topped with fresh jalapenos.

I looove this! I  




Tuna Yukke. Chopped tuna with "bbq sauce," poached quail egg, and green onion

One of my other favorites! I always get this when I go to Kula. The sauce they put in is so yummy and the creaminess of the egg yolk goes so well against the seaweed and green onion.



Carolyn's tempura udon. Only $4?

I hate udon (I don't like the think noodles) but Carolyn said it's good. Udon broth with noodles, tempura flakes, and two shrimp tempuras.


Our finished plates stacked up. Carolyn still looks hungry ahaha. 

When you're full, you just call the server over and they count the plates, multiply by $2, and that's your total! We didn't eat too much, I think 12 plates between us? That would be $24 dollars plus the udon. Not bad! The plus is that you get to sample a lot of different sushi items. I like small plates. In normal sushi restaurants, each roll comes with 8-10 pieces. All the rice fills you up so it's hard to order a lot of rolls. I'd recommend Kula as an alternative to that. No, it's not authentic sushi, it's not top quality, but it is very good for the concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment