Thursday, May 9, 2013

Champion Food in Fountain Valley, CA

This week I picked up my lil sis from school. First of all, I got to her school twenty minutes early. Then when she actually came out,  she wanted to wait 30 minutes for Starbucks' happy hour at 3:00. That brat... -__- Convenient though because right across from Starbucks was this place I've been eyeing...

I always pass by it and the cute name & boba painting caught my eye. Yelp says it's Taiwanese food. Holla at my ancestors! Jk, I guess Taiwanese isn't the same as Chinese... Anyway, reviews were pretty good so I stopped in.

Isn't it cute?


I walk inside and it's a typical sterile looking Asian hole in the wall. No one is inside, kinda awkward. Then a Hispanic man comes out from the back and welcomes us. It's soo funny cause there was a bunch of different types of jerky in containers all lined up. When we walked in, the man started covering all the jerky containers with lids. Health code violation? hahah. Good thing I didn't want jerky. I looked at the menu and had no idea what to order. So I asked the man what's popular and he said something like "number 10, number 12, number 20, number 16. Oh, also number 13 and number 21" hahaha. I forgot the numbers but I ordered a Sesame Pie with Beef, Onion Pancake with Egg, and a cold Brown Rice drink (cause I love brown rice). 


As we wait for our food to be down, I look at what's inside their display fridges. Frozen dumplings, chinese sausage, and eww chicken feet, gag. I know a lot of people like eating chicken feet, but it has never appealed to me.

Food's done! We thank the guy, get my sister's dumb, fattening Starbucks (can you tell i'm not a big fan ;P) and go home. 


First is the brown rice drink! Omg, those frayed edges of the plastic annoy me soo much. Just looking at it right now drives me crazy....

So I take a sip. Hm, kinda thick.. Another sip. Really sweet... Sip. What a sec, this isn't brown rice! Sip. It's definitely some kind of peanut drink. Stinking man... It reminds me of those peanut butter steamed rice balls I used to eat when I was little. Not disgusting but not really drinkable, cause it's so thick. It's been sitting in my fridge lol


Next, onion pancake with egg.


 It's really just an Chinese onion pancake with egg inside haha. I take a bite and it's bland and super greasy. Yuck.

Maybe some chili soy sauce will make it taste better. 


Mmm, nope it doesn't taste better hahah.

Sesame pie with beef. Boo, the "sesame pie" broke


OMG, this is super yummy. Inside is the flank meat (?) that you find in pho and it kinda has the same flavor. Plus there's cilantro and green onion. So good, it's pho in a sandwich!

I add the egg from the onion pancake hah. Mmm, look at the layers of beef. 

Overall, everything was just aiiight. The onion pancake was hard, greasy, and bland. The sesame pie was so delicious but if I didn't dip it in the soy sauce that was given with the onion pancake, it would be super bland. It needs some mayo or something for moisture. But it's seriously pho in a sandwich, plus it's a good size portion, the sandwich was twice as long as my hand. I'll be back to try new things, just not the "brown rice" drink." I would like to try some authentic Taiwanese breakfast and I definitely want to order the sesame pie with beef again. For now, I'd just rate it maybe 3.5/5. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment