Friday, April 19, 2013

Canaan Resaurant in Artesia, CA

Today I went to Canaan Restaurant with my bf for lunch. It's a Taiwanese restaurant that was apparently founded by a pastor. We actually wanted to go to a Japanese place nearby but it wasn't open for another 30 minutes T_T So I yelped the nearest restaurant with four stars and Canaan Restaurant popped up! There's this delicious Taiwanese pork noodle soup I love, so I picked Canaan in the hopes of it possibly having that soup.

While we were waiting, we took pictures with my Instax. I love it <3


We were the first customers of the day so right when we walked in, there were like 10 servers all lined up just staring at us and saying hi haha. Looking at the menu, it seemed like typical Chinese food mixed with Taiwanese dishes. I couldn't find the pork noodle soup :( So we ordered from the lunch specials. We ordered string beans with bean curds, spicy intestines soup in hot pot, and sweet and sour spare pork ribs. 


String beans with bean curd

I LOVE chinese style green beans! This dish was simple but I think they may have used satay sauce or something to season the green beans and bean curd. Yummy! I ordered another dish of it to go hehe.


Spicy intestines in hot pot

When they brought this out, it was super hot and bubbling hot like crazy! It comes on a hot pot with a little burner. I chose this dish because of the congealed pork blood. Sounds gross but it's a staple of almost all asian cuisines, I believe? The dish also had intestines, bamboo, cabbage, and tofu--all in a nice think broth with just a hint of heat. This had a distinct taste. It sounds messed up but the flavor reminded me of old Asian people hahaha. 

Sweet and sour pork ribs

These were more like just sweet pork ribs. I didn't taste any sour at all! Since we were the first customers, these came out fresh and the pork was still crispy from being deep fried. Fattening but so good.

The dishes were nothing spectacular but everything had a homey taste that gave me nostalgia. It brought me back to the times when my family would all eat dinner together every night. If I'm ever in the area and want Chinese food, I'll come back here and try more authentic Taiwanese dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment